Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Convincing

I don’t want to try to convince you to agree with me on political issues or on any issue for that matter. But I do want to somehow get you to open your mind to the possibility that God does indeed exist and not only that but He loves you and wants to be involved in your life. My hope is to help you realize that there is more to life than just this. There is meaning and purpose and hope. And the reason I want to try to convince you of this is not because I want to be right nor is it because I want to prove anything to you…. Rather it is because I know through my own experience how fulfilling it is to know God. And how great it is to not ever be alone in anything I am going through. I want everyone to be able to experience that and to be able to have hope and to be rescued from ourselves, if you will.

I know that I am not perfect and I know that people have done and said a lot of stupid things in the name of religion that makes Christianity as a whole seem like it is completely irrelevant to the human race today. This makes it seem as though the only ones dumb enough to subscribe to such a belief are old fashioned, uneducated people who cant think for themselves. But that is simply not true. There may not be many of us, but we do exist. Christians who think for themselves, but still hold true to the bible. Christians who want what’s best for the world and not just ourselves. Christians who can have an intelligent discussion without letting our need to be right get in the way. Christians who focus more on helping people in a practical way than trying to force them into a prayer of repentance. This is the kind of Christian I am striving to be.

But as much as I know I am not perfect, I know that you are not perfect either. Nobody is. And maybe it is time we all consider the fact that there may be a flaw in our thinking. Maybe you are not completely correct either.

So let’s start by focusing on what we agree on and go from there.

No comments: